Friday, December 5, 2008

When I'm not writing the news, I am the news

Just got a phone call from a reporter at City Pulse. He wanted to talk about what happened on Wednesday. At first I declined. I figured I had nothing really constructive to say. Then I realize that back when I was a reporter (two days ago) I hated it when people refused to talk about something that happened, especially when it's obviously public knowledge.

So I called him back. Basically he just wanted to know how the lay off when down, what I'm gonna do now, the first thing I did when I got laid off (I, of course, plugged the blog) and my feelings on the future of newspapers. (I won't answer all of that now b/c I kind of have already in previous entries). But he also asked my feelings on Gannett. I'm sure he'll make me sound like a corporate kiss ass but I was honest with him. I'm not gonna knock Gannett b/c they own the Free Press, I want to work for the Free Press in the future so that's that.
I can't help who owns newspapers and in all honesty working for Gannett (until I was "let go") has afforded me a much bigger salary, benefits and a 401K I wouldn't have gotten working for a smaller, non corporate paper. At least that's what I'm gonna tell myself. At the same time I'm totally open to working for an individually owned paper to see what that is like too.

In all honestly I don't take the lay off personally. Sure I wish the person w/ the chopping block would have been like "OMG we can't get rid of her, she is amazing and drives tons of web traffic (which I did)" but when 1400 people nation wide get laid off you can't take it personally.

I'm anxious to see how the article turns out. I guess the CP reporter was able to talk to a lot of people who were part of the downsize.

In other news the episodes of "Intervention" I watched today were some of the best I've ever seen. Cutters are some seriously strange people. I get drugs, alcohol, all of that but self inflicted pain?? I don't get it. Then again didn't I just mention something about wanting to stay in the newspaper business despite the gloom outlook?

I'm about to leave the house for the first time today, wish me luck. I'm going to wear the cowboy boots again I just love them. I think Matt does too. Yesterday was the first time he'd seen them. I think he honestly thought I went out and bought new shoes. I reassured him that they were old, they had just been in the back of the closet.

Oh and I'm also taking applications for a press secretary. If these phone calls keep pouring in, I'm gonna need help!

1 comment:

Sara said...

I'll be your press secretary! Do you need a resume? haha!! Oh, I'm supposed to ask if you offer benefits first. haha! I'm glad you're getting a lot of attention!