Friday has always and forever been my favorite day of the week. I thought not being employed might change that.
:Excuse me, I have to interrupt this blog post to mention that Oprah is crazy. I'm watching an interview she did with Tom Cruise at his home in Colorado and she just told him his kitchen is so "normal." Oh yeah because everyone looks out onto the Rockies while eating their muffins in a multi-million dollar log cabin, trust me the kitchen is NOT normal...God Oprah, get a freakin' grip:
Anyway back to what I was saying, being unemployed hasn't changed the fact that Friday is still my favorite day. After cleaning and doing a little free-lance work that is actually worth it (thanks Colleen!!) I head to see Kate Gosling at Schuler. Um, no thanks. An hour before the signing started the line was wrapped around the building. I like Kate and all but my hair and makeup were done and there was no way in hell I was standing outside in the cold and snow to get a damn book signed.
Instead I headed to Home Depot to check out outlet covers. The first selection I found was nice but each outlet cover was about $1.99. (Meaning I would have spent about a million dollars on switch plates and outlet covers). Thank God I kept walking because I hit the jack pot of outlet covers. Yes, I had to dig through boxes and my choices included white, cream and almond but they were only 22 cent each!! I mean, I was telling strangers at Home Depot how happy I was.
I did splurge on a couple of brushed nickel selections and picked up a couple of brushed nickel hooks to tuck the living room curtains behind too. I got out of there for about $20, so I was happy.
I called MC to tell him the good news.
Me: "I just couldn't find the right cover for that garbage disposal switch palate, ya know the one with a switch and two plug outlets."
MC: "Oh we don't have a garbage disposal"
Me: "Um, what?"
MC: "Yeah that's to the light above the sink."
Me: "Oh well, no biggie you can just put one of those in."
MC: "Well, no because we have a septic tank and you can't really have a garbage disposal with one of those."
Me: "Oh" Cue Green Acres music... "Green acres is the place to be, farm living is the life for me..."
And so my adventure continues, apparently sans garbage disposal.
Oh, oh and more great news. The charter school that my youngest sister attends is looking for a new teacher for their Freedom Writers class (it's a class kids pick to be in to learn about reporting and writing, etc). and I'm hoping to get the job. It's a part-time gig that I believe I could fit into a full-time work schedule. I am just so excited at the prospect of teaching these cute little kids to conduct interviews with their cute little notebooks and pens. OMG so adorable, just imagine 100 mini mes!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
My old boss, a former production director, who was shown the door after 36 years with Gannett, told me over and over again that there really is life on the outside.
When I was dumped after 34 years, I quickly learned he is right!
Good luck on your new ventures. Sounds like you've got some things going for you.
Small town papers are about the only place good journalism can exist anymore.
It was tossed out years ago by Gannett when the bean counters took over.
Hey there city girl...There is life without garbage disposals. I've done it all but one year of my life. You just have to take the garbage out more often or your house will smell like rotten food.
And I hope you get the teaching job at said charter school! That would be so neat. Good luck on that!!
Ms. Em - Your blog is so entertaining. Moving to Lapeer is a new adventure. One you are going to enjoy and love. Keep that beautiful chin up. Everything always works out. Somehow, it just does. Enjoy Christmas and New Years in your new home. A home becomes a home when you place your treasures.
life without a garbage disposal will be ok... we did not have one at Louis Street
reading this made me sad, because i didn't know kate gosselin was in michigan signing books, and i'm sorta of totally obsessed with jon and kate :(
Post a Comment