Well, it happened. I'm generally a pretty strong person (minus Lifetime movies) but around 7:30 p.m. the day of the lay off I shed my first tears over the job loss.
I can honestly say, as much as I loved my job it really had nothing to do with the fact that tomorrow I won't walk into the NOISE office.
It was a combination of a couple of other things. 1. The huge amount of texts and facebook messages saying "I'm sorry." I'm not a big fan of pity. Thankfully, just as I was about to let the world know not to feel sorry for me in a not so kind way, right minded Matt reminded me that these were my friends who were just letting me know they care about me and are there for me. He's right. I think it'd probably hurt more if no one said anything. Then I'd be all like "Hello people I just posted on facebook that I lost my job. A little support here!"
2. The vision of moving boxes popped in my head. It's been less than a year since my last move and I HATE moving. (Funny since I think I've done it about eight times in eight years). The move is a direct result of the lay off.
You see about a month ago someone was kind enough to tip off the Gannett blog (our office Bible, I can say that now because none of us work there) that HUGE lay offs were near in the world of Gannett. This prompted our Publisher (a guy I maybe saw twice and once was today on the stairwell when I carrying my Jimmy Johns, btw I'm a stress eater) to send out a company wide e-mail confirming the massive lay offs. So to say I was blind sided would be inaccurate. I saw this coming a mile away.
In turn Matt and I had a "back up" plan in place. Move back to our home town (about an hour away and I'm sure moving back there will provide MUCH future material) into his parent's old house, which is currently empty except for his sister who is in and out.
This makes sense for a variety of reasons: his dad is far nicer than any collection agency I've delt with, my family lives really close providing a support system better than the one I'd find at Reno's and also because Matt works in said home town.
When news of the official lay off hit, Matt phoned his dad and we gave him a move in date.
Exciting? Yes! Stressful? Yes! Are moving boxes in my future? Yes! Did I move in between Christmas and New Year's last year? Yes!
Thus tears fell at the mere thought of all the work I have to do.
But Matt was there to comfort me and so I'm sticking with my positive attitude. Job or not, I'm one lucky girl. And btw thanks for all of the kind words and thoughts out there on facebook. I love you guys!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
It sounds like you're all set to land on your feet. I'm VERY happy to hear you have some great (and comfortable) options right now. And that you have so much support. The bright side about THIS move is that you don't have to cram packing and moving into evenings and weekends. Make sure to take some time to relax and enjoy NOT working. It really IS good to unplug. You've been working non-stop for so long. You can stand some down time. Love you and sending you lots of love and well wishes!
Post a Comment