MC and I had another busy, expensive, reliving-our-youth, thus, wonderful weekend in East Lansing.
Like most married couples, we spent our Saturday night at a gay bar.
(It was Manny’s birthday).
I forgot my camera which NEVER happens. So, Marty was all “you can use my camera, you are better are taking pics and I’ll upload them”.
Which was a great plan, till I lost Marty’s camera…or rather someone at the bar had sticky fingers b/c it was sitting next to me on the bar all night. $40 worth of drinks later and it was--poof-- gone. Funny how drunks are easy targets for theft.
Luckily Marty was very kind about it. Mostly because he knows to replace his camera would be my entire year's salary.
Yesterday, while in hang over recovery, we all watched this infomercial on Dual Action Cleanse, a two part product that colon cleanses. Being that we were all full of fried eggs and hippie hash, it was very appealing b/c honestly a colon cleanse sounded really good right about then.
Although we were on water on the rocks at this point, we invented a drinking game to go along with the infomercial.
If they say fecal matter = 1 drink
If you see the words fecal matter displayed on the screen you drink till they go away
Obsessive clip art usage = two drinks
It was fun.
Then on the ride home yesterday MC and I were munching on combos (pretzel and cheddar, my fav) and frozen cokes when I had this idea. It had been raining for about 100 days, which was better than snow but still making me very depressed.
I suggested that we buy a trailer on the beach in Michigan and one on the beach in Florida, quit our jobs and become servers, living in each location for six months out of the year.
MC agreed.
Then obviously, we realized we are far too predictable and Midwest to actually do this and went back to our combos and frozen cokes.
Except today was a horrible day and it got me thinking about how disenchanted I've become with this whole, go to college, get a job, buy a house, American dream shit.
I've done everything right my entire professional life. Good school, internships, worked late, worked weekends, come up with creative ways to sell products, etc. In fact, exactly a year ago the editor of the daily where I worked approached me in a restaurant because I'd been out of the office that week. He just had to tell me how happy he was with my work and how I was just what newspapers needed to draw in young readers.
Less than a year later that same editor said it was him not me but I still had to pack my shit and go. And no I could no longer write my column for them.
I really don't know anyone who is super happy with their job and since we spend most of our time at work it really hurts my feelings that we all kinda hate it.
Maybe I would be happier if I left the newspaper biz and served french fries and draft beers to tourists. Then again, maybe I'd be bitter that I have a journalism degree from one of the best journalism schools in the country and I'm serving beers and fries to tourists and living in a trailer.
I really don't know. What I do know is that despite my best efforts I have not found what truly makes me happy in life. Thus, I have not found my destiny. Which I guess, hey I'm only 27 I've got some time.
But I also know life is too short not to figure it out pretty quickly. And so my search continues and I ask you: If you could live outside of the life that you've found yourself in, what would you do? Where would you go? Who would you tell off along the way?
(FYI I may steal your idea if it's a good one)
In the meantime, I'm investing in some Dual Action. The infomercial said that a back up of fecal matter (take that drink) can make a person pretty bitter and miserable. Perhaps I'm just full of shit.
7 comments:
1. Dual Action Cleanse makes everything better
2. So does clip-art
3. Believe me, you would NOT be happier as a server. Nothing is worse than serving people food for a living. People are crazy when it comes to food.
4. If I could do anything I want, I would write for a TV show. I think it would be the perfect job for me. Like, writing episodes of Six Feet Under or Sopranos or Dexter...I would die I would be so happy. So someday, I may just have to move out to L.A. and give it a go.
5. You will figure out what makes you happy. You've already got tons of blog-readers, so that's a start:) Hang in there.
Liz, it's funny b/c clip art does make me laugh. I have no idea why I like it so much lol.
You totally SHOULD go to LA and give it a go. God, I love Dexter. Do you watch Mad Men? You should.
I know deep down that writing books on how not to hate your life is my destiny, so as soon as I figure out how to do that, I will.
Thanks for being a good friend :)
Hang in there Em, servers become bitter due to the fact that the general public are asses in restaurants most of the time.
I am totally Googling Dual Action Cleanse, because it actually intrigues me. Ha.
I would be a professional dancer and travel between major cities (kind of like travel nursing) and entertain nightly. (kind of like Donny & Marie) I would tell off anyone in my path who interferes with my dream and makes me feel bad about myself. I would be confident, headstrong, and powerful every step of the way. As I know you, I know you are confident, headstrong and powerful and ANY dream you want, you will achieve. You've got it girl.
At one time I thought I wanted to be a muse. I thought a muse was someone who amuses people. Then I found out that muses who get paid are called (among other things) "ho's." So I'm still trying to decide. Good luck.
One of your best ever. You're not full of shit!
For the record...you haven't offered to replace the camera. It really doesn't matter because that stupid thing was old and huge and probably only worth about $50, anyway. I did secretly wanted a reason to buy a new one...
As for being a server and living in a trailor...I like the server part. I seriously miss doing that. Sure, I don't think I could keep it up for more than a couple of years, but there is something to say about having a job you can leave at work and being able to sleep in until noon every day of the week. Not to mention the fact that I lost 10 lbs being on my feet all day!
My dream job would be a casting director. To get paid for judging people based on looks and talent...what else could be better!?!
You always leave me satisfied and wanting more. I just wish you'd answer my question in the donnie darko post.
-Kevin
Post a Comment