Like most 20-somethings coming of age a la Sex and the City I've always held the four ladies of NYC close to my heart. Especially, of course, Carrie.
After all, she's a writer, I'm a writer. She has curly hair, I have curly hair, we both heart boys and most importantly we'd both assume spend every last cent we have on shoes, clothes and bags than anything else even close to sensible.
Of course in real life (accepting, of course, that Carrie is a real person) she is much older than I am and lives in a much more happening place. Still, I've watched and rewatched those SATC episodes getting every piece of life lesson I can out of them and don't even laugh, because they've gotten me through some tough times.
And then the movie happened. I thought Carrie's getting married, I'm getting married (and might I add to dream boats we've known for years.)
But her behavior in that movie ?? Ugh. And Big's behavior?? Double UGH.
Given that they are a good 15 years older that MC and I, I kinda hated how tough it was for them to get married. Really? Come on, you're in love DO IT.
MC and I had no trouble of the sort and while we did make people get on a ferry and go to a place with very little air conditioning and no cars for our nuptials the whole thing was pretty drama free.
So I kinda hated the movie because I thought "OMG I've lost my connection with Carrie, we are no longer the same person."
And then I saw SATC II last night and I was like "Oh thank you sweet Jesus we are back."
Carrie and I are once again ... one.
She is nearing her second year of marriage, like me, and most importantly she's at this point where she's like "So you and me, all. the. time. just. us.??"
And if you recall I've had many a panic attack related to this subject (pick any of the posts Dec. to March 2010 and you can see what I'm talking about).
She did something real stupid (I won't spoil it here) and unfortunately here's where I also saw myself (Not that I've gone that far ...). There's also an exchange with Charlotte that just made me cringe because I have had similar exchanges with friends I love. Projected my problems onto them, while ignoring that they too have things they need comforting about (um, you know who you are friends) but I suppose that's just part of being fab, you just can't be fab all the time ...
But by the end of the movie, of course, she came around.
And lately I've been feeling the same way.
Just like MC and I frequently are asked the Kid question, Carrie and Big were asked that question early in the movie and I was thinking "Why would they want a kid? They are so much fun just the two of them and so in love and so good looking ... "
And then I was like "duh" Moi aussi.
Now, don't get me wrong I love the adult onset acne all these fertility drugs are causing so I'm not stopping any time soon but the obsession is lessening because just like Big and Carrie, MC and I are not only enough ... in the best way possible ... sometimes, we're too much ...
2 comments:
thanks for convincing me that i need to see this movie. i was also disappointed in the first one so i didn't even bother to go see the 2nd. but i've held the same connection to carrie and the girls for years. i actually got to meet SJP a few years ago & get her autograph when she had her bitten line at steve and barrys :]
Love your blog Emily, and you too! Loved the movie as well, and thought, ya know there is something to be said about not having kids or at least waiting until we are older and the urge to party and vacay at the last minute isn't so strong. When I was in HS I used to think by the time I'm 28 I'll for sure be married and be done having kids and I haven't even begun to start any of that. And, I'm completely happy being able to go to the bar after work with my friends and take off for the weekend whenever the hell I feel like it without having to arrange for a sitter or having to worry about not affording it---cause I don't know how I could afford anything fab when the avg kid goes through $40 in diapers a week. I thought of this last Saturday when a friend of mine (2 kids, 1 on the way) asked what I was up to and I said "just having a drink maybe going shopping later" and she replied "Oh, the life you live..." It will happen when its supposed to happen and I know you've heard that a million times, but I wanted to let you know I'm thinking of you guys and wish for the best. xoxo
Post a Comment