Monday, August 23, 2010

Can someone explain to me why sun dried tomatoes are so expensive?

Back in my old life in Lansing I used to cook all.the.time. I mean I was totally the perfect Suzy Homemaker.
In my new role, as just an okay wife, however, I don't so much cook.
Frankly, I blame the fact that in the last block of my drive I pass the corner store, which since we live in the sticks, happens to also be a gas station and pizza parlor. And after a long day in the trenches the idea of cooking dinner is about as appealing as sticking sharp things in my face, and in turn the $1 slices of pizza (which are totally filling and delicious) sound a lot better so I sometimes just swing into the joint and grab some slices and call it a day.
All of this is a great idea until I try to put on my jeggins this fall and all I can see in the mirror are the 18 slices of pizza I've eaten this summer (read week.)

Anyway, sometimes I miss the old me (as I'm sure MC does too) and I decide. "Suck it late night work appointments, I'm still going to cook this week."
And then I find a recipe that involves ramen noodles and think "holy hell this is perfect for me. I love ramen noodles. And because it includes college dorm food it must be easy and inexpensive."

But it's not, because this particular recipe called for fresh basil (which I don't grow on my own yet, but will next summer) and sun dried tomatoes and can you ever grow those?
And also I Love sun dried tomatoes but have never bought them. So I had to ask my girl Mickie where the eff you find them at the grocery store. Thank God she too used to be a perfect Suzy Homemaker (we both quit that gig thank.you.very.much.) but she still knew.
So yesterday I went to buy them and holy $5 a jar?
The sun dried tomatoes cost FIVE TIMES the amount of the four packs of ramen noodles I bought.
You know the worst part?
I bet those sun dried tomatoes never make it in the ramen because, well, because I just realized I'm working late every night this week and since pizza can get old I'm guessing we're having ramen the other four nights.
I want my $5 back.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good ingredients always are. Like feta. And Greek yoghurt. And EVOO.

Missy said...

I think u can make sundried tomatoes in the oven fairly easily?