Considering I grew up in a home that employed a cleaning lady and was also home to a mom who made sure I never once made a bed, cooked a meal or did a load of laundry, I think I do pretty good house keeping wise.
Obviously a lot of that has to do with my slight case of OCD. I love a clean house, so that's easy. I love to eat good food, so that's easy and I have this skill for making beds that I should market. I can smooth sheets and arrange pillows and have my bed looking Martha Stewart ready in no time.
But laundry, yeah that's always pretty much been a problem for me. After ruining THREE, count them THREE amazing J. Crew sweaters freshman year at State my mom sent me a large print out of strict laundry instructions which I have since followed. And so I've avoided many the disaster that way.
And thanks to my love of clean things I have no problem, collecting, sorting, washing, drying, folding and putting away all of our clothes. I like it actually.
But here's the thing. I can not for the life of me, iron. Sure, a lot of it is that I don't have the want to learn how. But mostly that's b/c the few times I've tried, I've sucked and since I like to be really good at things I just gave it up.
Wouldn't be a problem if I were one of those people who just avoided buying clothes that need to be ironed. But I'm sorry, I LOVE clothes. While I'm not a slave to the trends, I have a passion for fashion. I may get sick of my seasonal wardrobes, but for the most part I love my clothes. I'm very happy with my collection (and pending I lose the pesky ten pounds that seem to have found a way onto my body post wedding--don't worry I have plan) pretty much everything in my closets (yeah I have two, judge away) looks good and I wear it.
Everything except for my tuxedo shirts b/c yours truly can't iron them and if you've ever seen a tuxedo shirt post wash, you know it's not a pretty sight.
And here's where MC comes into play. He is so good at ironing his own clothes that a few months back I asked if he'd mind ironing one of my tops. A tuxedo top.
He did it lovingly and not knowing how many hidden-need-to-be-ironed tops and bottoms I had.
So as I type, poor MC is hunched over the ironing board getting every little wrinkle out of my adorable ruffle-filled tops. He's kinda over the lovingly part but I still love him for doing it.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Jason totally does our ironing. He has to iron his uniforms every time he washes them. If the Navy does anything for men, it teaches them how to iron way better than any home-ec teacher could.
That was actually a well written blog. I'm impressed.
Dry cleaners can bust out that pressing for like $1.50 a shirt too. So anything that can't be ironed in the dryer goes to the cleaner.
I hate ironing too. But it's impossible for a professional male to have a wadrobe without items that require ironing. Next time you guys come over, do you think Matt could iron all my clothes? Maybe while the rest of us go get an oil change...
Post a Comment