** The biggest thing I've learned about infertility since I became aware of mine, is that it's a huge problem, but not many couples talk about it. All most of us have heard is how easy to it is to have a baby. We are surrounded by "accidents" and TV shows that document teen moms or worse moms addicted to drugs, making it seem totally unfair that a loving couple, with a home and a plan can't have a baby.
Not talking about something that has an impact on a lot of people is a shame, because we could all learn from each other and more importantly lean on each other when things feel too heavy to handle on our own.
I've been lucky (which seems like the wrong word) to meet a lot of other couples (some of them close friends who kept their story to themselves until I started blabbling) and women going through the same thing I am in the past eight months. In hopes of reaching others I've decided to take our journey public. If I can help just one person (even if it's me) feel okay about this than talking about diarrhea will totally be worth it.
That being said if you don't care about infertility or more importantly my bathroom habits, then please feel free to pass on these posts (they will be tagged operation baby cas) in the coming months. They will be TMI at the very least.
And fear not regular posts about regular life will still make up the majority of this blog. Mommy blogger I am not ... at least yet. And here we go ...
Eight months ago when we threw caution to the wind (and more importantly the pill in the garbage) both MC and I expected to be expecting in a matter of minutes. We both come from huge families and not one person in our big families has had any problem making that family any bigger.
Time flies when you're infertile and the next thing I knew New Year's had come and gone and things just weren't happening. Being under 30 I was told by one doctor I'd have to wait a year to investigate, but when my periods became more irregular I decided a year could be too long — what if not being able to conceive was the least of my problems?
Blood tests and a lovely ultra sound (in the biz they call it the wand) revealed that I was right. Something was wrong. I have been diagnosed with PCOS.
One trip on Google proves that it's a problem, but as my mom says, it's more of a road block then a dead end. As far as infertility goes if I had to have something I think this is the best case, also it's nice to know there is a reason and that I was right, no amount of praying, hoping or thinking positive would have gotten us a baby without medical intervention.
The number one way to treat PCOS is with diet and exercise. (Duh? Isn't that the solution to everything). The shitty part is PCOS makes it nearly impossible to lose weight (just one of the many symptoms I've have since puberty and yet I was never diagnosed). Other treatment includes insulin drugs and eventually fertility drugs.
If those don't work IVF seems to be the next option.
For right now my doctor and I aren't exactly agreeing on what to do next. I think if nothing else infertility will teach me to be an advocate for myself. All of my life I've been treated like shit by doctors (being overweight will do this) and now is the time for it to stop. I will try it her way for a while but I am satisfied in knowing that if I don't get the treatment I want, a new doctor will be in my future.
When we return from our spring getaway next week MC and I will start a new journey. No sand, no cocktails (ouch!) and a life filled with fewer carbs and more hours on the treadmill.
I start insulin treatments on the 17th and meet with a nutritionist on the 18th. (So, I guess this means no green beer on St. Paddy's?? — this damn kid better appreciate all I'm doing for it).
Depends who you ask and what you read but the insulin drugs can, for one help me lose weight and two — best of all — get us a baby (well, ya know along with that pesky thing called sex) — no fertility drugs required.
The down side? A major side effect of the drug is diarrhea, sexy, huh?!?
Four weeks later I see the doc. again.
Depending on progress MC then goes in for a round of testing himself (while far more enjoyable than the wand I have to imagine it'll be a bit awkward.)
The down side? A major side effect of the drug is diarrhea, sexy, huh?!?
Four weeks later I see the doc. again.
Depending on progress MC then goes in for a round of testing himself (while far more enjoyable than the wand I have to imagine it'll be a bit awkward.)
It's not exactly the most romantic, spontaneous way to add to your family but then again if the end result is the same, I can't complain.
Online testimonies are keeping me positive at this point. Many women have gotten pregnant with the insulin treatments alone and even more have no problem having a second child. (B/c who on Earth would do this again?)
Who knows where our story will lead ... but I know we'll need support along the way.
Wish us luck.
6 comments:
good luck emily!! i'm rooting for you!
You know I love you and good luck. Hang in there, keep me updated, and we can't wait to see you again. If you ever want to talk, you know where to find me!
Hey Emily,
I stumbled across your blog a few days ago and thought it was great. It's style reminds me of my favorite blog in SF http://vegansaurus.com/ which I thought you might get a kick out of. Also this most recent post reminded me of a coworker I had in East Lansing, whose wife has been struggling with infertility. She also blogs, and it's been the topic for many years. I've never really read it, so I can't vouch for the quality or content, but i thought I would pass it on for you to check out. Her name is Emily too.
http://apronstringsemily.wordpress.com/
Anyway, maybe you can find some helpful info in her older posts and some levity in the new. Good luck with everything and I'll check in on the progress now and then!
this is a very frustrating topic... it seems like this always happens to the couples most suited to actually have children, while the rest of the undeserving world is just mindlessly breeding... bleh. and not to mention, you and m are just WAY too good looking to not make a mini! ;) i know it will happen... so many couples try for so long and then suddenly, boom. my cousins just went through it after they've already adopted 2 kids!
i'm glad that you have some kind of answers & options at least... not knowing what's wrong or what to even attempt to do to fix the problem is the worst. i will definitely be thinking of you and supporting you em, stop by my cube whenever you need to chat! or you know, if you want me to stand guard of the bathroom or anything... ;) xoxo
I am so rooting for you, Emily! (And yes, Baby Cas will appreciate all the trouble you're going through now!) Just hold on to your sense of humor...That will be a wonderful legacy to pass on to your child!
Good luck! I have PCOS too and I'm open to talking about it if you want. I was diagnosed when I was 17. I'm just now starting to try and conceive. So I'm in the same boat.
Post a Comment