Sunday, January 24, 2010

Palm trees in March please

It's weird how the things you "learned" or became conditioned to as a young child stick with you.
Like, when I was little my mom went back to college and so I didn't have a bed time because my parents were so busy during the day that they wanted me to stay up with them at night. Eventually, however, I'd end up crawling up onto the couch, getting cozy and falling asleep there and when they went to bed they'd carrying me to bed. This went on until I was like 13 or something ridic and could no longer be carried.
But I continued to prefer to fall asleep on the couch first.

It's a habit that sticks with me to this day. Even if I'm dead tired and I still have to wash my face and brush my teeth and I know damn well that it'd be easier to just get up off the couch and do those things and get into bed. I still curl up on the couch and fall asleep. It drives MC crazy because he claims he can't really fall asleep until I'm in bed, so he ends up laying there awake, while I "nap" on the couch.
I suggested he get up and carry me to bed as I prefer and while he's given it his best shot a few times I have a lot more Zumba to do before it becomes an easy task. Also going straight to bed isn't really an option as I have to do said pre-bed routines (face, teeth, etc.). And also that no sleep without me biz is bull because sometimes his snoring in the bedroom wakes me up in the living room.

Anywho, I lived a good life with my parents. Said life included annual ventures down south to Naples, Fla. An amazing, warm, luxury-type place where old people, who invested well, get to spend their golden years ... and their kids and grandkids get to tag along. We went for a minimum of two weeks each year and one year my mom and sister got to stay an entire month, while my dad and I returned to work and school (but I thought I was cool because my aunt had to come to my house to do my hair and I got to wear a side pony tail every day!)
We did venture out of Naples a few times but come hell or high water I got my feet on sand by April 1 or else.
I can remember a few times my mom suspected my dad wouldn't get a bonus or something like that and we'd have to cancel our trip and I threw fits.
Looking back I think this was the beginning of some serious SAD, something I still believe I have. (Luckily this winter has been extremely mild).
The must-hit-the-beach getways turned to beach-or-pool getaways and continued through college and my single years after. In fact, that's where a lot of my current credit card debt comes from (don't judge).

Soon after going boyfriend/girlfriend with MC I convinced him to book a trip to Fla. with me and now he's just as hooked on the getaways as I am. (In fact it was on one of these getaways that he popped the question!)

Anyway the point of all this rambling ... (really, what is my deal ...) is that we just recently booked tickets to travel with our friend Marty (and stay with his well-invested parents and visit my aunt Mary Lou) in Naples in March.
I can't tell you how happy this makes me. Not only will I get to get my feet-on-sand happening I'll get to show MC all around the place I made a huge number of wonderful, childhood and beyond memories.

And so the countdown has begun. I think there are 44 days left!! YIPPIE! Where are you going on spring break?? (And side note, is it still spring break when you're nearing 30 yrs old??)

2 comments:

whileshedreams said...

i totally have SAD as well. nothing makes me happier than that instant that my feet hit the sand! well retail therapy helps but it's not the same :) i can't wait to be living my dream by the sea... you of course have an open invite once i get settled :)

Becky said...

Ok, in MC's defense I have the same "can't sleep well until Marc comes to bed thing" as he does. Of course, Marc steals the covers and sticks his cold feet against mine, but still. Need him in there to really sleep well. Have fun on vacay, still jealous you get to go to Florida every year :).