Tuesday, December 8, 2009

I think I forgot to say thank you

I grew up in a traditional household. Meaning my Dad went to work and (for most my life) my Mom stayed home and did the cooking, cleaning, laundry, homework, snot collecting, school clothes shopping, etc. (Btw thanks to both of you b/c between your duties there was very little left for us kids to do but ya know, enjoy being kids :) )

But all of this makes it hard to accept the fact that sometimes MC puts the laundry away.

It. Blows. My. Mind.

(And also makes it really hard to find ANYTHING — he hung up my workout pants y'all. I was so cornfused).

When we first moved in together my career allowed me to continue to be a woman in what I considered the traditional sense. I had plenty of time for cooking, cleaning, etc.
Now, not so much.

I realize modern couples share many of the household duties but, I don't mind working until 9 p.m. and putting away the laundry as long as it means I never, ever have to touch a mouse trap or learn how to use our riding lawn mower (seriously, don't. wanna. know. Passing that thing in the garage is scary enough). Somehow though (maybe the stress is beginning to read through on my face) MC stepped it up and did and put away five loads of laundry over the last two days. There is not even a dirty sock in our house.

And so while I kinda hope he never does that again because it of course lead to a conversation (i.e. him telling me) about how this summer I am going to learn to mow the lawn, I should say thanks. And also where are my bras??

What about you couples out there, what duties do you share or claim as your own?

3 comments:

Heidi Renée said...

We've gotten to the point where Jason cleans the litter boxes without being asked. But for pretty much everything else, I have to ask him, sometimes more than once. He never remembers when trash day is, even though I have a trash/recycling schedule on the refrigerator, so I have to tell him to do that twice a week. The kitchen is my kingdom, but I am slowly introducing the idea of basic meal prep to him. He makes a good salad.

He does car maintenance quite proactively--oil changes, air in the tires, etc. And that's good, because I so don't do cars.

Becky said...

Marc cooks, a lot and he's good at it so that's his thing. He's also a little OCD and helps clean as well. Although he never does laundry, appearantly I'm the only one who can do that. So I'm pretty lucky considering he WON'T let me get near the lawn mower.:)

Teresa Lathrop said...

My boyfriend does dishes, garbage, snow removal, mows the grass and kills the spiders. I cook, clean and do the laundry. It's been working great so far, and we pick up each others slack when we get behind.
BTW Emily, I love reading about your life :)
Teresa