One of my favorite birthdays was my junior year in college when my roommates — so fed up of making a big deal about my birthday — took the cake money my mom sent them (I must have ice cream cake when eating cake) to the store and asked the non-English speaking person to write "Happy Birthday Shit Head" on the cake.
Although confused the guy agreed to do it and thus the famous "Happy Birthday Shit Head" cake was born. It was funny and totally tasty and so them. I loved that cake.
But today I celebrate the anniversary of something I don't so much love. MY LAYOFF.
Exactly one year ago today dressed in skinny black pants, topped with boots, wearing a white tuxedo shirt and green sweater I headed into the dentist office for my six-month check up.
I got to work early (because of my appointment) and waited. And waited.
Layoffs had been happening steadily in the company for weeks. And we sorta knew that Dec. 3 was our day.
None of us did much work and at about 1 p.m. we took a walk to Jimmy Johns. I ate a Beach club and waited some more.
And then my editor's phone rang. He went to HR and returned with bad news. We were all going to have to go.
I had already begun packing up my desk and soon enough our phones rang one by one.
We were given the whole "It's not you, it's us" speech, told about our severance and given the rest of the day to say our goodbyes.
While most people might have seen this as a horrible day. I was kind of excited. Getting laid off was a perfect excuse to move on with my life and my career. If Gannett had continued to pay me to shop and party I would have continued to take the money and would have never grown and would have avoided being challenged writing wise, like ever.
I was the first to leave out of all of us, mostly because the lay off for me meant a move and I had to get packing.
I went home and after calling my mom, I started this blog.
I did some interviews with the other alt weekly for stories about the lay offs and soon enough had the offer for the place I spend 9-5 (and then some).
One of the biggest things I've learned this year is to be careful what you wish for. I wanted a challenge and Oh Boy did I get a challenge.
From wall paper removal to money management I've been challenged in almost anyway a person can be this last year.
I think the dust might be settling a bit. I. Think.
I'm getting together with my old Gannette buddies this weekend which will be nice, and all at the same time a little depressing. I'm not alone in the challenges this year has created. Some of us have come out better and some of us, well, we've learned how to remove wall paper.
No matter what the next year brings Dec. 3 will be forever in my mind.
And so I'll say it again Happy Anniversary Shit Head.

7 comments:
I LOVE that we got you that cake! I can hear the indian guy with his thick accent saying "happy birthday shithead?"
xoxo,
Laura
I know this has been a tough year. But I, for one, am so happy to have you and Matt back in Lapeer. You are a joyful addition to life in this small town. xoxo
For what it's worth, Noise has gone downhill big time ever since you and your colleagues have left. It is now basically a carbon copy of the Thursday What's On section. City Pulse is much better, hands down. I used to like Noise better, but not anymore. Noise, and the LSJ in general, have become shadows of their former selves.
Emily -- I had no idea you'd only been blogging for a year! I jumped on board with the one you did about facial hair removal, but I hadn't bothered to go back and read your earlier blogs -- until now! For what it's worth, I'm glad you started this blog, even though it meant you had to get unemployed to do it -- Just keep writing!
Loved this post. Loved it. This has been a tough year for you, but hopefully next year won't be as rough.
Good things often emerge from bad things. Like your awesome blog for example! Wish I could be there for the reunion. Raise a glass for me! And then be sure to fall down in the alley afterward, just like old times.
A Gannett reunion?? Does that mean you're going to be here this weekend?
Post a Comment