Monday, June 7, 2010

DINKs need syrup too

Hate babies, don't read

Things have been kinda rough around casa de Caswell lately.
Tends to happen that way about once a month. I'm sure it's the load of drugs the doctors have me taking, but unfortunately life around here can be like riding a nightmare of a roller coaster sometimes. Things are yell-y and stabb-y and ya know, ugly.
But the fog that hit us hard last week seems to be lifting a bit and I have some clarity in which to write and to tell this story.

I woke up yesterday with more energy than I've had in a long time. A LONG. TIME. And I wanted some French Toast like no body's business.
I started to prepare breakfast and realized that since it'd been awhile since I'd had this sort of energy on a Sunday morning our syrup was a wee past the expiration date (read: Nov. 2009). So I ran to the corner store to get more.
Maybe it was my unwashed hair and face, my little pot belly or the panicked look I had on my face (I was thinking if they didn't have syrup I'd be forced to drive another six miles into town — ah, country life), but when I was checking out the woman working there said "Oh I just knew you were going for the syrup."
"Oh, ha really," I said. "Why?"
"Oh you just look like you've got a house full of kids waiting at home for their breakfast."
"Oh, nope, no, just a hungry husband and myself."

Of course the woman has no idea what I am going through and so saying it looked like I had a house full of kids was a simple comment. But it hurt. A little. Not as much as it would have earlier in the week. But still.
When I came home and told MC he said "way to hit on a sensitive subject, lady. We want a house full of kids, but we don't have them."
To which I added "yet."
Because sometimes along with syrup, DINKs * need positive thinking too.

* DINKs = Double Income No Kids

3 comments:

Kim said...

We definitely need positive thinking...maybe more than others.

Anonymous said...

best post in the long time. :)

Sontana said...

Oh, how dare a perfect stranger forget that you are entitled to special treatment! I'm sure she definitely 'hit on a sensitive subject' on purpose. Or maybe she didn't get the nation-wide memo informing us that Emily is to be treated with extra care and sensitivity. For god's sake, get a new subject to 'write' about. You are just making yourself look bad with every post. The constant whining is getting old.