Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Goodwill - not just for the homeless or the hipsters anymore

I hate when people apologize for not blogging for like, let's say, two weeks because the truth is that if bloggers didn't go out and do a little livin' we'd have nothing to write about for you lazy jerks who just sit there at your computer when you should be working or ya know planning how great your life is gonna be when your 18-year-old son moves to college (mom, I'm talking to you), and complain that the bloggers you read totally suck because they never update any more.

All that having been said 1. I'm really sorry 2. I do sucks and 3. If it weren't for my readers I could not pay my Consumer's Energy bill (not the winter one, the summer one, I will claim success when I can pay the winter one with my blog moneies) so I love you and thanks for coming back.

I will also say that I totally warned you all on the slow blogging during the summer months. Remember, I live in Michigan and trust me when there's sun you.go.outside. I can not tell you how nice it's been laying around the pool eating various fattening foods (because I fired my doctor) and drinking Miller Lite.

Another plus of summer is that my crazy-ass-gonna-be-a-big-time-rich-lawyer sister was/is in town from Atlanta. I say was/is because I just got a text that her flight was delayed and she somehow talked (read: annoyed) the ticket guy into letting her extend her return flight by ten more days so she is driving back from the airport now. And that puts her in town until right about when I leave town to go and visit her. I hope she makes it back in time for that.

During her visit I wanted to take her and our baby sister to this awesome new clothing store I discovered except that when we got there the place was out of business. I guess low prices on designer clothing can only last about two months around these parts. So we kept on driving to find a restaurant that wasn't a bar (because baby sister is only 15) but served drinks. What we found was a brand new Goodwill.

I, like most who graduated in the late 90s/early 2000 went through a thrift store phase. I was trying to find my style, etc. and plus Cosmo totally allows vintage finds but I never really was that into it. I actually closed that door about 12 years ago. I'll take the Gap, thanks.

MC is a big believer in vintage T's, which are fun to hunt for at thrift stores, and my sisters love those places, so we went in.
And did y'all know that Goodwill these days isn't so much used clothes (well, they still have them) as a giant clearance rack for stores like my beloved Target?!?!
Um, yeah and being that I like a good deal almost more than I like food this Goodwill turned out to be kinda my heaven.
I got a dress, a top, three Ts for MC, a linen shirt for MC, a leather clutch and gold earrings for $14. The dress and top still had store tags on them. And before you get grossed out I soaked the earrings in rubbing alcohol.
The only disturbing part was when MC woke me up the next morning and was all "Where's that new dress shirt?"
And I had to be like "Gross, it's in the wash, it came from Goodwill."
And then I had to wonder how many of his vintage Ts he's worn straight off the rack of a thrift store.
And then I had to wonder how many things he's discovered about me after things got legal that would have maybe changed his mind.
And then I remembered that I love him and that it's probably a good thing that I came into his life because he may have kinda smelled otherwise.

So before I wrap this one up I just wanna put a question out there for you guys because I want to prove that I really do care what you think and trust me when fall rolls around you'll get plenty of dirt. Anyway, what's the biggest haul/ best deal you've discovered lately?

5 comments:

Lindsay M. Allen said...

Just found a great bargain today, actually! If you're looking to travel, there are some crazy airfare deals out there right now (most of them for travel in September through November). For example, my pre-tax Travelocity fare from Detroit to DC this fall? A whopping $80 (round trip!). Even with taxes, it was only $100.

And yes, Emily ... I totally agree that clothing purchases -- especially from a thrift store -- need to be washed first! I suspect that most guys are probably just like MC in terms of his approach to this, as I think men just don't ponder such things. :)

Jason Hogan said...

I actually found my chorus clothes there... BUT... do you remember those "Come for Coffee" invites we found w the rainbows on them?!? I still have them!!!

Unknown said...

Ditto to the first comment about travel deals. Going to Vegas for 5 nights over Labor Day weekend. Only $409 per person for flight and hotel...that's pretty much like getting the hotel for free.

The best deal I ever got in my life though, was my dinning room set. Paid $180 marked down from $1,400 at Art Van Clearance Center!

Also, I am eating one of those Tim Horton's B-fast sandwiches you introduced me to this weekend...they are a pretty good deal...big sandwich, drink and muffin for less than $5...me likey.

Tif said...

Brand-new tags-still-on Elie Tahari suit jacket at Bella Grande. $24. Score!

Becky said...

Definitely the travel discount Marty referred to. I totally loved Thrift Fair in HS. Liz and I used to take trips to there all the time. I still have clothes I bought from thrift fair (remember my Barbie Dance Club tee?) Unfortunately, it closed. But where is this goodwill you speak of??