Wednesday, June 3, 2009

It takes a real genius (or someone who is afraid of spiders) to break a $400 vacuum

I have blue carpet. It's not navy, it's not light blue, it's blue. There are no two ways about it. Ya know what happens when you have blue carpet (besides people being all "why do you have blue carpet?" btw my father-in-law picked it before we decided to move in and it's brand new so replacing it seems silly)? It shows every spec of dirt, lint, etc. and so for me being a tad OCD it makes me crazy.

Even worse, our vacuum is a PIECE. In the past couple of weeks it's gone downhill. Around 8 p.m. last night I realized I couldn't take it any more. I called my parents and asked if I could use one of their old Oreck vacuums for, like, the rest of my life since I'll never be able to talk MC into the idea of a $400 vacuum.
They said sure. Upon arrival, however, they said my brother was the last to use it and it was clogged. I realize how shocking it is that an 18-year-old uses a vacuum but here's why.

Ya see, my brother is one big dude who is very afraid of spiders.
When he see one he grabs a vacuum and sucks it up and then just so the spider doesn't somehow crawl out of the vacuum he sucks up either a plastic bag or an entire box of tissue.
This is a problem because $400 or not, vacuums are not meant to clean up unused tissues.

Luckily MC was able to fix the problem and our carpet is once again clean!

The thought of my big, old brother sucking up a brand new box of tissue, hopping and screaming like a little girl because he thinks somehow a tiny spider will crawl out of the vacuum will be the thought I carry with me tomorrow as I visit the doctor. To put it mildly I am not a fan of the doctor.
I am seeing the OBGYN in the morning to get the all clear in the female health department.
Doctors make me nervous, not because I fear pain, not because I fear illness but because I fear the scale.
Again, not a fan.
Ridiculous, I know. But I like to go on the theory that if my clothes fit I'm doing okay and if I see a number on a doctor's scale I have to face the fact that laying out in the sun is in fact, not a good diet plan.
And so I'll think of the tissues and hope the doc goes easy on me.
If nothing else, my carpet is clean now.

4 comments:

Ronnica said...

That's hilarious about your brother. I've never worried about that, but I definitely make sure that I take the vacuum out into another room!

Becky said...

Em, for a period of time the only thing I wanted in life was a Dyson vacuum.Of course, we don't have one. Good luck at the Dr's. It will probably be one of many upcoming trips. (They become you BFF).:)

Heidi Renée said...

The real question is, did Matt find the spider of death when he unclogged the vacuum?

I avoid the doctor for the very same reason.

We have a Dyson. I love it. But I want to upgrade to that one with the ball in it. Somehow I don't think I'll be allowed to spring for that.

Unlikely Oilfield Wife said...

I totally get how you feel about the scale, God, do I get it. Luckily, the last time I went I had a super cool nurse, who didn't make me feel like crap. Not always the case! I hope your visit went well!